What should business bloggers write about?
All too often, I come across business owners who start a business blog only to focus on their products and services. This, in most cases, is a mistake. To increase your customer base and encourage repeat sales, aim to create a platform or resource which is useful or entertaining to your demographic.
Know your customers
Before you start blogging, you must know who you are blogging for. Take some time to think about your customer/client base and consider what these people have in common. Ask yourself, what common issues do my customers face and which of these issues can I help to solve?
With their common interest or problem in mind, make a list of questions your customers/clients might ask and categorise them into groups. This might look like...
Blog Post Graphics and Layout
- Where can I source pictures for a blog?
- What should my blog look like?
- How can I make my blog look better?
- How do I make my blog mobile-friendly?
- Do I need to hire a designer for my blog?
- Does animation help with sales conversions?
- What is content marketing?
- Does content marketing fit my business?
- How does a blog help with SEO?
- Is blogging profitable?
- How does blogging generate leads?
- Does video marketing generate leads?
- Is video good for SEO?
Writing for Business
- Should I use an external blogging platform?
- Which blogging platform is best for my business?
- Where do I find good writers?
- Will people write on my blog for free?
- What should I write about on my blog?
- How often should I post to my blog?
- Should I write guest posts on other websites?
Aim to provide the best solution
The internet is busy. To make your blog stand out, focus on high quality, relevant and up-to-date content. Where possible, aim to provide the best solution to your customers problems or provide an alternative answer.
It has even been said that those looking to stand out in this crowded market should produce content which is 10x better than anything else on the web!
Write for people, not search engines
Search engines are getting better at 'understanding' your content and the search intent of their users. Over the last 10 years they have improved significantly in matching the best content to their users' search queries.
Not only this, but search engines (specifically Google) have made it their mission to 'crush' poorly written content which offers a poor user experience.
While it is important to mention terms that you feel users may search for, search engines now look at synonyms and focus more on the meaning of your post and how users interact with your website.
"But how do I convert readers into sales?"
If you are able to effectively target the right demographic, and you can provide an excellent resource for them, over time they will become more familiar with your brand and you will build their trust.
To further generate leads and sales, use call-to-actions around the site, use seasonal and short-term promotions and offer downloadable resources to help build your mailing list.
Listen to your users and continue to strive to create a better resource. While this is not the quickest way of generating sales, it is one of the most cost-effective and long-term methods to build your business online.
If you are interested in taking your business to the next level and you want to know how a comprehensive content strategy could help you to generate more sales, get in touch now and we can arrange chat.